Monday, September 12, 2005

Water Balloons & Audio Equipment

This past weekend, I played at a block party up in Bergen County. It was my second year for this event. It's a great neighborhood. Two hours into the event, there was a special ceremony presided over by the mayor. Specifically, one of the neighbors was honored as a hero. This past summer, there was a house fire on the block. An 83 year old man was trapped in the basement. A neighbor, Mike Corcoran, went into the smoky house three times to try to rescue him. It was too smoky to get to him, but when the firemen arrived, Mike was able to show them where the man was trapped. He was rescued, but not before suffering cardiac arrest. He continues to recover, but at least survived.

Later on, I was at my DJ station, when a water balloon flew over the shrubs and landed on my mixing board. It is horrifying to see that much liquid on a piece of audio gear. Then another, that splashed my CD player. It was the kids horsing around the front yard. I had to shut down the show for 5 minutes to dry everything off and make sure it was working properly. Fortunately, it seemed to work fine. I will test it later this week to see if there are any problems. The host was extremly apologetic and embarrassed and did offer to cover the costs of any replacement / repair. Hopefully, it won't come to that.

Absent the water balloon incident, it was a great party. I played for about 7 hours and had many requests for business cards.

On Sunday, I awoke at 6:30 AM to unload the SUV, and then shower up for church. I was absent my gang, so I was able to listen to the service, rather than just babysit - which was a pleasant change. Thereafter, I visited with my sis and brother in law who were in town. Then, reported to Sea Girt beach for some bodyboarding. The water was beautiful in terms of temperature and clarity - and it was warm and sunny. I met up with Tom Loughran and his wife Hope, who have temporarily relocated from New Orleans. They don't know when they'll go back - but they do intend to stick with New Orleans. The timing was bad as Hope had just started a tough to get elementary school teaching job, and hadn't even received her first paycheck! The waves were choppy, but had some size and power, with nice bowl sections.

In the afternoon, I had a meeting with a couple who are getting married outside of Philly on December 9th. They are Air Force personnel officers who were stationed in Okinawa for 2 years. The Japan angle was something that we had in common. Since they are personnel officers, the meeting took on the air of an interview. I think it went fairly well, but they have definitely spoken to others. My last meeting with Chris and Christina felt good, but failed. I think with these, there's about a 50% success rate, but given the higher fees for weddings, it's worth the effort.

Last week, I laid out the gauntlet for planning a major Halloween party with Struggler and Matt C. We are grappling with the tough issue of where to have it. Also, the Rutgers Homecoming clashes with the Saturday night party option. We need a bigger venue. Struggler quipped, "if you build it, they will come." Yes, but we only have one night to lure them in.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home