Saturday, February 11, 2006

Winter Blues

For the past week, I've been struggling against one of these nasty viruses. Head congestion, chest congestion, sore throat, fever. Both of my boys had it and passed it along. The worst is over, but I want to kick this stranger out of my house! I stayed home from work on Tuesday, but in retrospect, I should have taken additional days.

Tonight, from 7 PM - 11 PM I have a scheduled performance in Somerset, NJ. Snow is expected to start light in the mid to late afternoon, and then pick up from there into Northeaster-like conditions. The client pre-paid the banquet hall, so they intend to go through with the party. The frustrating part is that it has been an unusually mild winter thus far, with no major snow storms. As a contingency plan, I'm considering booking a motel onsite to avoid having to drive home through blizzard conditions. It should be an interesting evening! (ADDENDUM: the show went on. I anted up $92 for a hotel room for the night, but had peace of mind. I was home mid-afternoon on Sunday and went sledding with Zachary down the hill next to our residence in a winter wonderland).

This past week, I booked a wedding for Friday Oct. 13th in Toms River. I have two other prospects that I'm working on. One of the brides took me up on my offer to record a custom demo featuring the grand entrance announcements, their first dance and so on. Late in the night, I put this track list together. I am hoping to use this cut as a demo for other couples too.

TRACKS -

Sitting, Waiting, Wishing - Jack Johnson
It's Your Thing - Isley Brothers (bridal party entrance)
Sandstorm - Darude (bride & groom entrance)
Open Arms - Journey (first dance)
If I Ain't Got You - Alicia Keys
All Night Long - Lionel Richie
(Love is Like a) Heat Wave - Martha & the Vandellas
Fantasy - Mariah Carey feat. ODB
Check on It - Beyonce
Luxurious - Gwen Stefani
Feel Good, Inc. - The Gorillaz
Love Comes Again - DJ Tiesto
Rise - Herb Alpert
You're the One for Me - D Train
Hung Up - Madonna
Cut the Cake - Average White Band (Cake Cutting)
Let's Get it On (R&B remix) - Marvin Gaye
Chain of Fools - Joe Cocker
Gold Digger - Kanye West feat. Jamie Foxx
Ordinary People - John Legend (in honor of his Grammy wins the other night)

Speaking of the Grammys, this past week's award presentation was excellent..

I particularly liked Ye West's Gold Digger and Paul McCartney's Helter Skelter.