Sunday, July 31, 2005

Weekend Grind

This weekend I played two rigorous events.

Friday night was a wedding up at the Madison Hotel in Morristown. The load-in was challenging in that the atrium was a five minute walk from the hotel entrance, and included several ramps. While I was able to use the dolly, the ramps put a good strain on my legs.

It was pre-cleared with the hall that I could set up my equipment from 5 PM - 6:30 PM in the atrium. There is a mezzanine above the main floor, and I was to set up on the right side. It was understood that I couldn't be in there from 6:45 PM - 7:30 when another ceremony would be going on. Well, the bride's mother from the first ceremony complained about my equipment being there. I had to load it in first, and it is in boxes, containers, etc. = it's not pretty to look at before it's set up and nicely arranged.

On the left side of the mezzanine was a classical quartet who were setting up at about the same time. I said hi to their leader, a woman named Deena. She had an ugly face with a big, acne pockmarked nose and nasty disposition. She was the one who sided with the bride's mother. I talked to everybody nicely and assured them that my gear would be set up nicely and that I'd be gone by 6:30! Things calmed down, but it was tense in there for a little while.

The bridal party was large, and I had to make 13 announcments. I missed one name's pronunciation, but got them in. There were several last minute changes that threw my flow off a little.

The reception itself started slow. Not many dancers, as it seemed that people were catching up. Some senior members of the families also have serious health issues.

I joined the photographer (Ronald Chicken and Ronald Chicken, Jr.) for dinner. Both were very pleasant. Ron, Sr. dispensed some wisdom about remembering to spend time with my boy during the weekends, as the time will fly by. He also cautioned about leaving gear in the SUV overnight. Great advice. Ron, Jr., who is starting college at Montclair State, has some panache for international studies, and I advised him to try an exchange program.

The party came to life after dinner, and the guests danced a lot. We finished with What is Love by Haddaway (extended remix) and I Wanna Grow Old with You (Adam Sandler) for last song. The bride and groom tipped me $50.

The load out was tough; I was out of there by 1:40 AM and back home by 3 AM. Driving home, I'm always pumped up from the activity of the evening. I slept from 3:30 AM to 7:30 AM. Saturday morning I took Charlotte to the doctor's for her checkup. Just one month to go! The baby is healthy and we are on track. Charlotte still has a "feeling" that the baby will come early. I am traveling to Ohio on business this Thursday, so please don't have the baby then!

I departed at 10:30 AM for Saturday's party in Rumson, NJ. It was at a riverfront house with a beautiful property, commemorating the family matriarch's 90th birthday party. The musical program emphasized oldies. There was little crowd feedback, and the time tended to drag. I played for 51/2 hours, and then loaded out (another challenging route through grass). My body was shot! Today, it still is. Weddings and family style parties are not so glamorous as the dance-oriented parties that I thrive in. This is when it feels more like a job.

I'm going to take some of this weekend's cash flow and pay down some credit card debt, sticking to our family financial plan. I am still 'paying' for a 6 month bout of unemployment during which time some large medical expenses also hit the family. We are digging out of the hole, but it is taking some sacrifice. Heck, nobody hands you success on a golden platter. I've gotta hustle like Jay Z. In the meantime, we are residing in a much nicer rental with two bedrooms and hardwood parquet floors.

Next weekend, we will host a house party in Lawrenceville, with fine cuisine, wine and camraderie. No DJ'ing. I'm looking forward to a brief rest. August features a lot of jobs, heavy work at my day job in finance, and a new baby(?).

Today, I booked a bride for an October 16th wedding in Middlesex (the town) near Piscataway. August and October are looking very strong. September is deliberately slow and will include some more fun gigs.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home