Sunday, June 12, 2005

A Surprise at the Franklin Lakes Party

Last night I was back to Franklin Lakes for the Randy H. party. He is the Wall Street exec. who throws lavish birthday bashes. This year, in the spirit of a firmer bottom line, the Pointer Sisters were hired to play for an hour. Yes, the Pointer Sisters!

When I arrived, I saw a huge tent and stage. The sound guys were running their checks. The roadcrew was about 15 people, and the band about eight people in total. This production was organized solely for a private party.

They looked great and sounded awesome. There were about 200 people there, so every seat was a box seat!

I played from 5:30 PM until 8:50, before the feature act came on. The mix was 50s and 60s rock, with a focus on Chuck Berry, Jerry Lee Lewis, Little Richard, sock hop type music and doo wop. Some detours to classic rock were also taken. From 8:30, I was asked to get the crowd in a disco mood - which I did. All songs worked well, but a dance re-mix of She's the Greatest Dancer had too long and intro and I could tell the crowd needed more instant gratification.

I dined on roast beef and white wine during my break and took in the concert. The ladies still look youthful and energetic, barely older than Destiny's Child.

At 10 PM, I resumed the set, starting off on a mellower Motown and then reggae vibe, before bringing in Billy Ocean's Caribbean Queen.... followed by Rick Astley's Together Forever. The dancefloor was packed for an hour. During the first hour, I dropped in a dance remix of the Pointer Sisters' I'm So Excited with an excellent reaction. The evening session was all classic music - a lot of 80s, disco and some rock n' roll favorites. Brown Sugar by the Rolling Stones worked well. At 1:15 AM, I ended with some Barry White and proceeded to do a very humid load-out. It was steam room sticky!

Randy, decked out in a white suit, pink tie and blue Diesel sneaker/shoes, enjoyed the performance and threw in an extra $100 for the DJ! With the Pointer Sisters and a generous tipper, it doesn't get any better than this!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home